As we give, we invest in the gift of FOREVER!
2017 Scholarship Application - (*Fill out the form online and print - PDF enabled browser required)
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-855-7741 ext. 21100
Who Are We?
Twenty-five years after the Genoa Area Local Schools Scholarship Foundation was founded, they have changed from being Genoa’s “Best Kept Secret” to having over $634,000 in assets to assist our students in furthering their education. Their growth continues!
The Genoa Area Local Schools Scholarship Foundation, Inc. offers scholarships to students of the Genoa Area Local Schools. This Foundation was organized by a local group of interested citizens on January 7, 1991, and has held a tax-free status with the IRS since March 2, 1994.
In 2016 a total of 60 scholarships were awarded to forty-four (44) seniors through the Foundation. There are currently thirty-six (36) individual scholarship funds that offered fifty (50) scholarships in 2016. A total of ten (10) additional scholarships were given by various local businesses and organizations in conjunction with the Foundation, including one four-year renewable scholarship first awarded in 2004 (The Dehn Sisters Memorial Scholarship Trust). Over the past five years, the Foundation has distributed 282 scholarships. The various scholarship funds in the Foundation total over $634,000 and continue to grow.
Where Do the Funds Come From?
Contributions to the various scholarship funds can be made through gifts, honorariums, memorials, wills, etc. Gifts of money or stock may be designated to create a new scholarship or to the principal of an existing scholarship fund. Many graduating classes, along with the alumni reunions, have considered these an important endeavor and have given remaining monies to a scholarship fund.
How Does It Work?
Ø Contributor sends contribution (see Contribution Form below).
Ø Foundation sends confirmation letter to contributor for tax purposes. (Consult your tax advisor for any tax related issues).
Ø Gift of $100 or more (for an individual/couple) or $500 or more (for an organization/corporation) may be listed on a plaque at the auditorium entrance in high school.
Ø All fund balances continue to grow. As funds mature they could provide more than one scholarship.
Ø Foundation policy is to give 80% of the annual interest to selected students for scholarships (remaining 20% reinvested in fund).
Ø Each individual scholarship fund has a documented agreement including a section on how winners are chosen.
Ø Employer Matching Funds Program is available based on employer’s participation.
Ø If you would like additional information, please contact us at ScholarshipFoundation@genoaschools.com; call 419-855-7741, Extension 21100; or contact a Trustee.
Ø Students interested in information on scholarships offered through this program should contact their school counselor.
Current Scholarship Funds
2016 Scholarship Recipients
* These organizations/trusts are affiliated with the Genoa Area Local Schools Scholarship Foundation, but their scholarships are not funded by the Foundation.
2015 Scholarship Recipients
2016 Operating Expense Contributors
Art Van Furniture - Genoa
Bauman Auto Group - Genoa
Cimarron Express Inc.
Ernest E. Cottrell, Jr. – Attorney-at-Law
Edward Jones, Larry Dean – Investment Representative
First Federal Bank
Genoa Elementary PTO
Genoa Family Eyecare
Genoa High School National Honor Society
Genoa High School Student Council
Genoa Medical Center
Graymont Dolime (OH) Inc.
Kiwanis Club of Genoa
R&R Sales – Roger Leyerle
Terem Marketing/Terrie Jensen
Yackee Electrical Service
Genoa Area Local Schools
Scholarship Foundation, Inc.